Thursday, January 24, 2013

What do I know about wine?

I first tried wine in the Cederberg Mountains of South Africa during my semester abroad. I preferred the white wines over the red wines. The white wines just tasted better. Since I was studying in the Cape Winelands of South Africa, I had the opportunity to sample a variety of wines produced locally. I went wine tasting in Stellenbosch, Lyndoch, and Franschhoek. My favorites were sauvignon blanc and chardonnay.  

Since I've been back in the US, I drink wine on occasion. This probably amounts to once or twice a month. When I am shopping for wine, I always look at the South African wine first. I know I prefer light, crisp  smooth and fruity wines. I typically enjoy my wine with cheese and crackers. 

I hope to learn what makes a wine good or not so good.  I want to expand my palate and try new wines. I already know I like white wines, but I would like to try some more red ones. I would like to gain a better understanding of what foods pair well with what wines. Overall, I hope to learn enough from this course to wow my friends and family my wine connoisseur status. 

No comments:

Post a Comment